What is a Generic Computer Worm? and Steps to Remove it Manually
The Internet is a great necessity nowadays. With the increase in the use of the Internet, the threat of cyber crimes has increased abruptly. Computer Worm is one of the wicked tricks that is used by cyber criminals to harm the computer systems.
It spreads through email, peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, clicking on social media links, software downloads and other methods.
Well-Known Example of Computer Worms:
There are numerous examples of computer worm, below mentioned is the most famous one:-
ILOVEYOU worm - In 2000, it was released by 24-year-old Onel De Guzman. It was spread as an email attachment ‘LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs’. Clicking on the attachment resulted in an infection in the system.
Some facts that you need to know about Computer Worms:
- It consumes bandwidth while they replicate
- It opens the back door, entered once into the system
- It usually targets unsecured networks
- It might cause heavy traffic in networks, and slow down the performance of the system
- Especially designed to spread from one computer to another
Four Signs that your PC is infected from the Worms:
- Emails sent to contacts without your knowledge
- System’s performance gets affected
- Missing images, files and documents
- Finding some strange files on desktop
How to protect yourself against Computer Worms?
Following are some practices that can decrease the risk of getting worms into your computer:
- Avoid clicking on unwanted links and emails received from unknown sources
- Do not open the unfamiliar attachment files
- Ignore pop-up windows
- Pay attention while surfing the Internet
How to Remove Computer Worms:
Remove Computer Worms Using Sniper Antivirus:
- Download Free Antivirus for your PC.
- Install the exe file on your system.
- Full Scan your Computer.
- Once the scan is finished, you’ll get the message “scan is complete”. Click OK button to get the results.
- Then Delete the threat from table.
By following the below steps, you can protect your computer against the computer worms-
- Step: 1- Download the Autoruns program from any source. Once it gets downloaded, extract it to C:\\Autoruns. Reboot your computer and restart it by hitting ‘F8’ continuously, it will display a pop-up window, then select ‘Safe Mode’ option in the advanced menu.
- Step: 2- Track to the Autoruns folder which you’ve created, then double click on “autoruns.exe”. Now click the “Options” once it loads, and select the option “Include Empty Locations”, “Verify Code Signatures” and “Hide Entries”.
- Step: 3- Refresh the start-up by pressing ‘F5’. It will display some entries on your computer that may be malware. Track the Image Path list for the file name of the virus and delete it.
Important- The virus may rename itself identically to other files, so be careful while deleting the files and also note that due to replication the virus may have more than one file.
- Step: 4- Track to the location in which the virus file was found and delete that file from the location. If you are not finding any files, then probably the files are hidden, so unhide your system files to delete those files.
Hope, the above information will help you and your systems to keep away from the computer worms. Try installing the antivirus software for advanced protection, available on the website - www.snipercorporation.com